** IMPORTANT - EZV is now only available via Compost Guy educational bundles - Learn More >>Here<< **
If you're looking for a time-tested, easy-to-follow formula for effective vermicomposting, read on.
When I set eyes on a worm bin for the first time I was in awe.
It wasn't the outward appearance, or even what I saw inside that sucked me in (both were pretty sad, in hindsight). It was the overall concept...this crazy idea of using worms to turn "garbage" into "gold".
The owner of the bin must have seen the amazement and desire in my eyes. She promptly insisted that I take many of her precious wigglers home with me. I happily obliged!
Like most new vermicomposters I was bursting with enthusiasm and optimism! I was a biology geek. I'd read about worm composting before. There was plenty of "good" information online.
"How challenging could it be?"
(You can probably see where this is going...)
Looking back, it almost seems like a "miracle" that I didn't!
(Who knows if I'd be even writing these words if I HAD)
Reality finally sank in...
"This worm stuff is harder than I thought!"
Thankfully I kept at it. I kept reading. Kept experimenting. I made some progress.
The "turning point", though, came when I finally decided to get serious about my vermicomposting education. I found some mentors, and invested literally $100's in books, reports & newsletter subscriptions. I hunkered down and read everything cover-to-cover!
It felt as though a veil had been lifted. I'd finally transitioned from simply knowing about vermicomposting to actually understanding it. That made ALL the difference!
I'd finally built my rock-solid foundation!
Rather than scrambling around trying to find solutions to each of my "problems" as they came up, I was now able to view the entire process from within a new framework of understanding. When I stuck to the KEY principles of vermicomposting at all times, everything just seemed to fall into place. I achieved far better results, with less effort.
Just In Case You 'Don't Know Me From Adam'...
My name is Bentley "Compost Guy" Christie, and I've been a crazy-passionate (some might say "obsessed") vermicomposter for nearly 20 years. Since 2007 I've been sharing my passion for this quirky field of endeavor with the world via my website, Red Worm Composting - and as a result have helped many, many people get excited about the topic, and involved in the process.
I've always tended to shy away from the term "expert" - since, to me, it seems to imply that someone's teachings on a topic should be treated as "gospel" (and for some "experts" out there, it seems to be an excuse to stop learning) - but rest assured, I have put a LOT of time and effort into my own vermicomposting education, so you can be sure my information on this topic is worthy of your time and consideration.
"It has made all the difference.."
"I can't say enough good things about Bentley and his promotion of vermicomposting. If I had not seen his website I would not be benefiting from the wonderful garden vegetables I have grown for my family since starting vermicomposting. It has made all the difference."
~ Barbara U. - Carson City, NV
"...have found your knowledge extensive as well as extremely helpful..."
"I've been a long time follower of Red Worm Composting, although a rare contributor, and have found your knowledge extensive as well as extremely helpful and your good humour refreshing. Thank you for your enthusiasm and abundant willingness to share."
~ Essybee - Darwin, Australia
As proud as I am of all the time and effort I've put into the website, and as valuable an information resource as I consider it to be ... I've come to realize that it definitely has its limitations.
No amount of positive feedback has been able to shake the lingering feeling that I'm not quite hitting the mark.
Why do so many vermicomposters fail?
- Is it because vermicomposting is "too hard"?
- Is it because vermicomposting "doesn't work"?
- Is it because of "all the bugs"?
- Is it because of unrealistic expectations?
These (and numerous other) reasons are all potentially valid - but what a lot of people don't realize is that they're mere symptoms of a bigger underlying problem.
"But what about the web, Bentley? You know, the 'Information Super Highway'! Isn't it loaded with excellent vermicomposting information?!"
The web is absolutely loaded with great information about vermicomposting!
The web is absolutely loaded with CRAPPY information about vermicomposting!
Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference.
And even if you CAN...
Trying to piece together a solid understanding of the vermicomposting process based on bits and pieces obtained from all over the web, is like trying to solve a Rubix Cube while blind-folded!
Even my own labor-of-love website with nearly 900 blog posts (as I write this), helpful pages, podcasts & videos - arguably among the top vermicomposting information resources online (but yes, I am a wee bit biased) - is NOT structured in a way to make it an easy-to-use learning resource! Even if you had a week to kill and decided to read everything (believe it or not - people actually HAVE) you'd likely end up banging your head against the wall!
The Easy Vermicomposting Course
Worm Composting Mastery from the Ground Up
This is an online course + membership community designed to help people master the fundamentals of vermicomposting...and beyond. In its present form (which will continue to evolve as you'll learn below) it consists of a 15-part audio series along with additional helpful resources.
- Lesson 1 – Vermicomposting 101 -You’ll be introduced to the topic of vermicomposting, why it’s so special, and just generally, the sort of mentality (and habits) required in order to be successful at it.
- Lesson 2 – Vermicomposting Requirements – It doesn’t get any more “fundamental” than this. If you can meet all the requirements of the process (and let’s face it – these are primarily requirements of the worms), you are certainly well on our way to successful vermicomposting.
- Lesson 3 – Vermicomposting Hazards – Of course, avoiding the hazards is every bit as important!
- Lesson 4 – Bentley’s Golden Rules of Vermicomposting – I’m actually not a big fan of “rules”, but if you’re looking for a list of my KEY recommendations this would be it!
- Lesson 5 – The System – An Overview – This is more than just the “worm bin” you choose – it’s all the various components that tie together to create a cohesive whole.
- Lesson 6 – System “Structure” – Here’s where you learn about the main protective elements of a vermicomposting system (and yes, your bins/beds/bags etc are prime examples).
- Lesson 7 – Food – Composting worms will eat virtually ANY organic waste depending on how it’s handled – but that doesn’t mean every scrap of organic matter is ideal for your vermicomposting systems!
- Lesson 8 – Bedding – Apart from sustenance, the worms need materials that will help to create a high quality habitat, and just generally help to keep things balanced. Ignore or even under-utilize this system-component and you’ll likely be left wondering why vermicomposting is so frustrating!
- Lesson 9 – Optimization – Give the worms (and microbes) what they need, and you’ll be rewarded with fast, effective vermicomposting, and a higher quality end product!
- Lesson 10 – Worms – The rumor is true…you DO indeed need worms to vermicompost (just don’t go digging them out of your garden)! lol
- Lesson 11 – Compost Ecosystem – The worms may get the lion’s share of the glory, but it’s important to remember that there are MANY other important organisms at work in your vermicomposting system.
- Lesson 12 – Setting up a Vermicomposting System – It’s not “rocket science”, but there are still quite a few things to keep in mind when setting up a vermicomposting system.
- Lesson 13 – Ongoing Maintenance – Everybody seems so focused on setting up vermicomposting systems that this topic often ends up being swept under the carpet. Learn this material well and your chances of having long-term vermicomposting success will certainly increase.
- Lesson 14 – Harvesting – For a lot of people, it’s the thought of producing “black gold” for their garden that get’s them excited about vermicomposting (and understandably so)! This lesson will help you determine WHEN it’s time to harvest, and HOW to do it.
- Lesson 15 – Troubleshooting – After you’ve been through the rest of the course, troubleshooting should be child’s play, but this lesson – bare minimum – should at least serve as a valuable review of key concepts!
"I love this series..."
"I know this could easily sell for twice what Bentley is asking. You cannot go wrong in a purchase like this. I downloaded the series and play on my iPhone while I am driving. What better way to learn than a down to earth speaker with great wit and insight. I love this series and will gladly recommend it to anyone wanting to further their knowledge and understanding of this wondrous adventure called Worms!"
~ Roger B. - Santee CA
The "Secret Formula" for Effective Vermicomposting
At the top of this page I mentioned a "formula for effective vermicomposting". It is literally the foundation upon which the Easy Vermicomposting Course is built. It's also where everyone with an interest in this field should begin.
Drum roll please...
- Give the worms what they need
- Avoid the things that harm or impede
Sounds utterly simplistic, I know. But you'd be amazed by how few people follow these simple guidelines.
"Fundamentals" ≠ "Newbie Stuff"
Most experienced vermicomposters ASSUME they've mastered the fundamentals. After all they've experienced some success. They've stood the test of time. They've managed to avoid killing off their worms.
Yet time and time again I meet people with 5, 10, even 20 years of experience making some of the same basic errors as brand new vermicomposters!
Discover the Real "Magic" of Vermicomposting
To this day, the process of vermicomposting never ceases to amaze me! Taking what many people think of as "garbage" and not only dealing with it in an environmentally-friendly way, but actually creating something ABSOLUTELY phenomenal. If that's not a form of alchemy, I don't know what is!
And I'm not the only one who has been wowed by the amazing potential of the field! Even world-renowned vermicomposting expert - and one of my main mentors - Dr. Clive Edwards, shared some similar sentiments in an email he sent to me (and yes, I made sure he was ok with me sharing what he said publicly).
"Vermicompost 'teas' are almost magic. I had about 50 lbs. of cherry tomatoes from four plants in my garden this summer."
~ Dr Clive Edwards - Ohio State University
Keep in mind - this is a hardened scientist, with nearly 400 academic research papers to his name. Not the sort of person you'd EVER expect to say something like that!
(What's funny is that before Dr. Edwards and his team of researchers at OSU conducted their trials, he was a serious vermicompost tea skeptic - as expressed in a "Castings Call" interview )
Here's a small Sampling of the Things You'll Discover Inside...
- The "7 Habits/Traits of Highly Effective Vermicomposters"
- 3 very important (yet very simple) worm-food guidelines that can save you a LOT of grief.
- What organism is most likely to harm your worms and impede your progress (Hint - It's NOT moles, ants or predatory flatworms).
- The two KEY stages of vermicomposting, and why each is so important.
- 10+ effective strategies for speeding up the vermicomposting process and creating higher quality vermicompost (a.k.a "castings").
- How to assess the state of your vermicomposting system in 10 seconds or less.
- The "Troubleshooting Triad", and how it can help you bounce back from many (if not most) worm bin challenges.
...And What You'll Get When You Sign-Up
Immediate* access to...
- The 15-Part Easy Vermicomposting Audio Series (already offering nearly 11 hours of top-notch vermicomposting content!)
- The Easy Vermicomposting interactive members area. Each audio lesson has its own individual page inside the members area where you will find additional learning resources (links to related content, photos), and a comments section where you can ask lesson-specific questions
- VIP (Expedited) E-mail Support
*(Well, OK - it may take you several minutes to get fully registered! lol)
"Really getting a lot out of this course..."
"Really getting a lot out of this course, I can listen while I cook and I digest the info much more thoroughly this way as I can can relisten, You clearly have a wealth of experience and present it in a way that makes it all feel very do-able. Sometimes the spoken word is much better at getting a point across than the written word, and I really enjoy that you don't take yourself too seriously and that makes it FUN to listen!"
~ Don A. - Los Angeles CA
"...well organized, in-depth information source..."
"There is a lot of information out there - much of it conflicting and incomplete. This is the first well organized, in-depth information source I have come across. I really want to understand how and why vermicomposting works and the science behind it rather than just approach it by trial and error."
~ Kellie Scott - Toronto, Ontario
60 Day Money-Back Guarantee
I stand behind my products 100%, and Easy Vermicomposting is certainly NO exception.
If (for whatever reason) this course does not meet your expectations within 60 days of your purchase - and I am unable to resolve your issues - the fact is, I DON'T WANT YOUR MONEY!
I will happily grant you a refund, and we can still be friends!
Before You Order it's Important to Realize That...
- These Are E-Resources - A set of cassette tapes will not (I repeat, will NOT) show up at your door! lol
- Everything is Globally-Accessible - As long as you have ANY sort of web access, and you're able to make a payment online, you are good to go, regardless of where in the world you are!
- This is a One-Time Payment - You will never billed again. You will have access for life.
** IMPORTANT - EZV is now only available via Compost Guy educational bundles - Learn More >>Here<< **
"...the most comprehensive set of real tutorials.."
"To me, this is the most comprehensive set of real tutorials to be found anywhere. Very complete, well structured, well put together. Great job Bentley."
~ Augie - Sudbury, Ontario
"Bentley is the 'Worm Whisperer'."
"This course goes above and beyond to answer questions about worm composting. Bentley is the 'Worm Whisperer'."
~ Liz (Big Tex Worms) - Keller, TX